Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan today welcomed the Commonwealth Government’s support for a number of Victorian Coalition Government-funded infrastructure projects.
Mr Ryan said funding announced today by Federal Minister Simon Crean for regional Victorian infrastructure projects under round two of the Regional Development Australia Fund (RDAF) would provide certainty for several priority projects.
“The Victorian Government is very pleased the Commonwealth is supporting Coalition Government-funded projects that are vital to the growth of our regions,” Mr Ryan said.
Mr Ryan said the RDAF mirrored the Victorian Government’s support of regional communities, with the common goal for regional growth, through infrastructure and services investment.
Projects set to benefit from the combined government funding include:
• Latrobe Regional Airport - Vic Government: $1.24 million (in addition to $1.5 million for stage 1 funding); Federal Government: $3 million (project total: $6.24 million)
• Wimmera Region Community Services Centre - Vic Government: $2.5 million; Federal Government: $3 million (project total: $9.30 million)
• Ovens Riverside Precinct (Wangaratta) - Vic Government: $715,000; Federal Government: $2.46 million (project total: $5.22 million)
• Sir Edward Weary Dunlop Learning Centre (Benalla) - Vic Government: $1 million Federal Government: $1.15 million (project total: $4.55 million)
• Mildura Riverfront (Eastern Precinct) - Vic Government: $7 million; Federal Government: $4.8 million (project total: $13.30 million)
• Wedderburn Community Centre (Stage 1) - Vic Government: $400,000; Federal Government: $851,000 (project total: $1.75 million)
Mr Ryan said Coalition Government funding had come from Regional Development Victoria’s $1 billion Regional Growth Fund, which is the Victorian Government’s commitment for creating more opportunities and a better quality of life for Victorians in regional and rural areas.
“The funded projects not only provide for much-needed infrastructure in regional Victoria, but also bring about high-quality jobs, building on regional economy growth,” Mr Ryan said.
Media contact: Sonia Heath 0413 485 526
Peter Ryan MLA
Member for Gippsland South | Deputy Premier
Minister for State Development | Minister for Regional and Rural Development