Twenty-five local sporting organisations from across Gippsland South have been awarded grants of up to $2,500 under the Victorian Health Promotion Foundation 2011/12 Active Clubs Program, Deputy Premier and Member for Gippsland South Peter Ryan announced today.
Mr Ryan said grants were available for the training of volunteers, purchase of essential sports equipment, injury prevention and equipment management, and portable sunshades.
“The Active Club grants are designed to get more people in the community physically active and to support smaller regional and rural clubs that sometimes need extra support,” Mr Ryan said.
Mr Ryan said the 25 local sporting organisations that received funding were from a wide variety of sports including football, netball, surf lifesaving, surfing, golf, shooting, athletics, basketball, swimming, cricket, pony club, soccer, tennis and motorcycling.
“Gippsland residents love participating in a wide variety of sports and it is pleasing to see so many different sporting groups and organisations supported through this round of funding,” Mr Ryan said.
“Regular physical activity is important as it not only protects against many illnesses, it also makes us mentally healthy, alert and resilient to the stresses of modern life.
“As well as the physical benefits, research shows sport builds community pride and loyalty, offering people the opportunity to get involved and providing them with a sense of self-worth.”
The 25 local sporting organisations to receive funding under the program are:
- Woodside Recreation Reserve - $1,500
- Devon Welshpool Won Wron Woodside Football and Netball Club - $2,485
- Korumburra and District Pony Club - $2,273
- Bushy Park Pony Club - $2,460
- Sale Tennis Club - $2,045
- Corner Inlet Pony Club - $2,500
- Outrim–Moyarra-Kongwak Cricket Club - $1,935
- Poowong Amateur Swimming and Lifesaving Club - $2,000
- Poowong Football and Netball Club - $400
- South Coast Stars Soccer Club - $1,900
- Loch-Nyora Pony Club - $2,200
- Welshpool Golf Club - $820
- Rosedale Rifle Range - $2,070
- Wellington Athletics Club - $1,000
- Golden Beach Surf Lifesaving Club - $2,500
- Gippsland Swimming - $900
- Loch Sport Boat Club - $2,450
- Korumburra Motorcycle Club - $2,500
- Meeniyan Golf Club - $2,450
- Meeniyan and District Netball Club - $2,430
- Rosedale Amateur Basketball Association - $1,300
- South Coast Board Riders Club - $1,800
- Yarram Basketball Association $1,370
- Yarram Colts Cricket Club - $2,500
- Venus Bay Surf Lifesaving Club - $2,500
For more information about VicHealth’s Active Clubs Grants, go to www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/activeclub.
Media contact: Ben Bulmer 0437 108 870